Energy Smart Programs
Wyandotte Municipal Services is fortunate to be able to offer many energy saving programs that help our residents and business owners lower their energy costs, make their homes and buildings more comfortable, and contribute to the saving of our local environment.
Energy Optimization Programs
Michigan state law, Public Act 295
, also known as the “Clean, Renewable and Efficient Energy Act”, aims to help residents reduce their energy needs. The law requires Wyandotte Municipal Services (WMS) to assist their customers in gaining greater electric energy efficiency through the establishment of Energy Optimization programs.
- Energy Smart Program - Participating utility members of the Michigan Public Power Agency are providing energy-saving programs for their residential and business customers. Some of the programs offered in 2012 are:
- Education – Various community outreach and school education programs on energy efficiency, electric safety and other are done throughout the year.
- Low Income – Current program provides low income residents, at or below the 200% of Federal Poverty Level, with new refrigerators to replace old, inefficient models.
- Pilot – Many different energy efficiency options are explored for the pilot program and a different project is selected annually. Taking renewable energy credit for Geothermal has been one such project.
- Energy Audit Program - Wyandotte residents should be proud that more than 2000 residents participated, over $175,000 was paid back in rebates and collectively over $1,758,000 was spent in upgrading homes to be more energy efficient and save the homeowners money!! The program is still ongoing, so don’t miss your chance, call, 855.674.9926, or go online now to schedule your Free Home Energy Audit.
- Low Interest Loans for Energy Saving Measures – through the grant programs WMS is able to buy down the interest rates to provide residents with low interest APR loans for installing energy efficient measures in their home or business.
- Residential: 1.99% APR through the Michigan Saves Program
- Commercial: 1.99% APR through Monroe Bank & Trust; 2nd program through Michigan Saves, variable rates, 1.99% APR to 5% APR
A/C and Dehumidifier recycling coupons
WMS will give any homeowner who contacts Customer Assistance, ask to speak with the Energy Advisor, a recycling coupon worth $15 per unit for recycling their old, inefficient A/C or dehumidifier.